Do you know that we have a Europe Day?
- And do you know why we have a Europe Day?
1. Europe Day is on the 9th May (decided in 1964) and commemorates the unification of European countries
2. And now that we have a Europe Day, why don’t we celebrate Europe’s “national” holiday?
3. Of course, we first need a free public holiday across the EU before we can celebrate..! *
* the European Parliament has voted in 2019 in favor of an EU wide public holiday on Europe Day; now it is up to the 27 National Governments to agree also & implement
Celebrate a united Europe on Europe Day!
STREET CELEBRATIONS ALL AROUND EUROPE
The EU needs (massive) street festivities in all 28* EU capitals on Europe Day (9th May)
> To celebrate a united Europe, for giving us peace, freedom and prosperity
> To bring the citizens of different EU countries together and to celebrate 'united in diversity'
> To enjoy each other’s culture: traditions, language, food, music etc.
> To help win the hearts and minds of the EU citizens (emotional engagement)
> To build a collective European identity
> To tackle euro-scepticism and increasing nationalism and cynicism
> To address the urgency of the new “Green Deal” agenda of the European Commission
> To give a leading role to the youth that day to voice their (climate) concerns
> By making Europe Day a free EU public holiday to enable citizens to join in these festivities
* Let’s invite the Brits (or the Scots) too
ORGANIZING ANNUAL STREET FESTIVITIES
ON EUROPE DAY IN ALL EU CAPITALS
For all EU citizens of all age groups and of all levels of education and backgrounds
Featuring well knows artists with (local) national, cultural and historical expressions
28 street festivals, in 28 capital cities around Europe, organized by the youth of the respective EU host country
Adriaan Hebly, The Netherlands
T: +31 6 5316 2699